Changing the address may be your much needed “refresh button.” Just thinking about moving, the first thing you see in your mind is probably the moment you sit down enjoying after the exhausting work of putting everything in its place.
However, we know there is more to it. Packing and moving can be a huge endeavor, and cause quite a headache. Luckily, there are things you can do to make the moving much easier. Like with any other job, proper tools can make all the difference.
Make a List before You Start
Before you start, make a list of stuff you wish to pack and move. It will prove priceless during the process. You’ll organize better, and you will have a bigger picture in front of you that will help you decide what you need to buy and how to prepare for the moving. Although you think you have it all in your head – it is always better to put everything on a piece of paper.
Essential Items for Your Moving
Besides physically transferring your stuff to another location, we all want for them to arrive to our new home in perfect condition, right? Well, that’s why you need to plan ahead and think of the ways you can protect them. Take a look at our list of essentials you’ll need for this purpose that will also facilitate the entire moving process. The previously mentioned list of your possessions will help you determine whether you really need all these in your new home.
- Boxes – boxes and moving are best friends. Try to get some boxes from your local stores and markets. If you can find some from a liquor store, you’ve hit the jackpot. Liquor boxes have pre-made compartments ideal for glasses. You can also always purchase some new ones. Before you start packing, make sure you have enough different-sized boxes. Medium boxes are the most convenient, although it is best to place heavy things in a small box. If possible, it is best to eliminate any surplus space in the box, so that the items you packed do not move. Another golden rule is to pack heavy items first – on the bottom of the box.
- Bubble wrap – this is an inevitable companion for every moving, which will protect small and delicate items you have. Perforated bubble wrap comes in different sizes so you can use it for any kind of glass, dishes, electronics, etc. Old newspapers are equally efficient for this purpose, especially for cups and other small dishes. Just wrap a few layers around them. Towels, blankets, even clothing will also do the trick.
- Protective wrap – another helpful tool you can use to protect fragile items, but also for protecting furniture walls and edges. These wraps are very flexible and easy to handle wit
- Tapes – use duct tape or strapping tape to strengthen and seal any openings on the boxes. Don’t be skimpy and use plenty of tape.
- If you are planning some painting during the move, get a painter’s tape.
- Scissors and box cutters – prepare several, in case you have additional help in unpacking.
- Markers and labels – to avoid desperation when confronted with a bunch of identical boxes on a pile, mark each of them. Use already made labels or write down what they contain. It is also preferable to mark which side goes up so that your eventual helpers know how to position the box.
Some Additional Items for Moving
Although often overlooked, cleaning part of the moving is very important. Make sure you have miscellaneous cleaning supplies – a broom, a bucket, dustpan, towels, sponges, rubber gloves, etc. Whether before or after the move, these will help you speed up the process. Double clean certain parts of your new residence before placing heavy furniture. You’ll thank yourself later. Also, if you have small children, it can be a bit challenging to try and do all the cleaning on your own, so if you can afford it, hire a cleaning lady/agency for additional help.
Let’s recap – having a checklist is the way to go when moving to a new home. Depending on your specific situation and conditions, determine which packing items are the most important. Make sure you have some additional supplies because going to the store in the middle of the move is not quite convenient. It would also be neat if you prepare some snacks and refreshing drinks for you and your helpers.